Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fall Is In the Air

It is currently 60 degrees in the lovely town of Salina. For those of you who have kept tabs on central KS's weather this summer, you realize that these temperatures are pretty much like an ice age to us.
True story.

This past weekend flew by.

Matt & I went on a fancy date to Red Lobster.
[hey, it's the fanciest restaurant we have]
Afterward we went home and watched Die Hard.

I woke up late, doddled around the house, and got ready to go to Topeka for our 5-year reunion.
A trip to the mall ensued [to get something to wear], a decision I immediately regretted as it was Saturday. By default the tweens are dropped off at noon and not picked up again until 9 o'clock that night.

The reunion was awesome. We had a great turnout and it was a blast.
I didn't get any pictures - kinda dropped the ball there. But I do recall posing for a few, so I will steal them as soon as they surface on Facebook and post them on here.

Featured view on my way home:

got home.
sat on couch.

I came into work for a couple of hours, then headed home to get some things done around the house.
First up? Picking up. I didn't want to clean. It seemed too cliche.
While doing so I realized I forgot to update you all on our new furniture
[prepare to be blown away]

And the big-ass TV (as I so delicately call it)

Then I headed out to the deck to do some work.

A couple months ago, I had the brilliant idea to put rope lighting around the deck. I was unprepared to spend much time on this project, so I used my creativity and just wound the rope around the spindles on the deck rails.
Picturing that, you can probably guess that it looked.....
well, it looked pretty ghetto.
Plus, I didn't have enough lighting to go completely around the deck.
My father graciously solved the latter problem, however; I was still in a pickle about how to mount the lighting. The plan was to use the clips provided in the boxes to mount it underneath the railing.
Sounds like a lot of work, right?
Yeah, I thought so, too.

After avoiding that project for weeks, I was finally feeling the construction vibe yesterday.
I tracked down the power drill & got down to business.
I learned my sweet power drill skills from my job at Kantronics.
Turns out using a drill to screw into wood is minutely different than putting together HAM radios.
Who knew?

Alas, an hour [and several swear words] later, I had finished as a proud craftswoman.
By some miracle I came out of that task unscathed.
And here is the world's worst picture of the finished project:

It actually provides quite a bit of light on the deck & doesn't attract too many bugs.
Matt & I - the old people that we are - enjoy sitting on our deck. A lot. Last night required blankets and/or collegiate Snuggy.

After my deck project, I made a trip to Lowe's to get Mums for the planters.
I forgot to take pictures of those. But they look great.
Our deck looks prrretty awesome.

I got a lot done yesterday.
This is what happens when I don't plan on getting anything done. I actually get things done. The opposite tends to happen when I plan things.
It's all very confusing.

And now: the countdown to the weekend. I am so freaking excited, you don't even know.
Well, I guess you know now.
Since I just told you.

We're headed to Topeka Friday night to watch the band perform at the first football game of the year. And Saturday is family camping at Clinton lake & the KU football game!
Don't get me wrong - I'm not a football girl (nor do I pretend to be) but nothing - I repeat NOTHING - compares to the awesomeness that is the KU campus on any sort of game day. [regardless of the game]

That's all I have to say about that.

I have vowed to take many a picture this weekend.

In the meantime, I hope you all have a swell rest of your week.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Love to hear 'em.