DIY: Hair Bow Tutorial

 In the midst of all of my tutu-making, I had a customer ask if I made bows, too. 
I replied with a "no" but then after some thought, decided to try it!
Because I'm crazy like that.

I found this great tutorial via Pinterest. 
It was super easy and really kind of fun to make!

The tutorial calls for two sets of thicker ribbon [the green below]. I tried that with a sheer ribbon and it just didn't work. However, in the KU bow at the end of this post, I did do that. I think it looks cute either way. The sheer just looked weird. 
It really just depends on how large you want the bow to be. 

Now...onto the tutorial.

SUPPLIES:
  • Three pieces of ribbon (see sizes below)
  • Hot glue gun/glue
  • floral or jewelry wire
  • Scissors
  • Headband or metal clip to attach ribbon to

Cut 22 inches of wide ribbon [you can use any size but I think the wider ribbon is best].
And 7 inches of thinner ribbon [the blue below, ignore the green ribbon]
 Next, cut your 22" ribbon into two equal pieces. Again, ignore the green.
 Then stick some glue on the end and bring the other end over to form a circle. Do this for the 7" strip of ribbon as well.
 Next, bring the two pieces together and using floral wire bunch them together to form a bow shape.
 Twist the wire in the back to secure
 This isn't pictured, but do the same with the 7" piece of ribbon - bunch it with floral wire & wrap around the other ribbon to secure both pieces together.
 Next, use a super-thin piece of ribbon and glue around the middle to cover up the floral wire.
 And there you have it!
 I glued it to a headband, but you can also buy barrette clips of different shapes and sizes at HL [and probably Wal-mart] and glue those to it.
I immediately regretted gluing this one on to the headband because I later discovered that the headbands I bought at HL have little slots in them so you can use different barrettes and change them out! 
How clever!

See?!
I made a couple KU hair bows yesterday.
And one more that I forgot to take a picture of. 

I finally got to use the basketball ribbon I purchased a long time ago! 
Perfect for this because our football team is nothing to write home about. 

I have three more tutus to make, and two more on order for next week [a K-state & rainbow one].

That's all for now, folks!
Hope you have a great day.
One more day til the weekend!!! Woooo Hooooo!

Comments

  1. Omg Mal! How much are you selling your bows for and can you make ones that are on the stretchy headbands for baby girls?? I have tried making bows and I am HORRIBLE!! I either need SEVERAL lessons or to just buy them... I need 2 Royals bows fr my baby girl and for my friends baby girl... Possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...I will sell them for $5 plus shipping. I'll put it on my etsy store. I can't find any Royals ribbon but I can get blue and white & might be able to stencil the logo on a piece of ribbon. I'll see what I can do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. and yes I can put them on a stretchy headband!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Love to hear 'em.

Popular Posts