DIY: Crayon Art

The DIY craft bug has bit me.
Matt claims that with a few more trips to Hobby Lobby, we're going to own the store.
Despite his dramatics, I continue to indulge my habit.
This one I've been wanting to do for a while. These things are taking over Pinterest. I wanted to make something for Cole to hang in her classroom, so I thought this would be perfect.
And easy.
And FUN!

I started off with a canvas, small enough to where I didn't have to buy out the crayola factory to get a good product. To start off, I picked 4 varying shades of each color of the rainbow. Then I arranged them so they flowed from color to color.
 After that, I hot-glued each crayon to the edge of the canvas. Make sure you go from end-to-end. I added some pink ones toward the end of the purple because they didn't quite stretch.
 And now - you start blow drying. I started off with the flat end on the blow dryer, but I didn't like what was happening as far as splattering so I took it off rather quickly. 
 I found that if you move the blow dryer back and forth very slowly from end to end, you get the best results. It looks like at times the color is going to be slanted, but it will correct itself when you bring the blow dryer back toward that end on the next wave.
 The lines weren't runny as if I had put the crayon in a hot glue gun [which I'm going to try next. ;)] but I thought looked more awesome that way, anyhow.

 And then I added my favorite Dr. Seuss quote to finish it up. :)
I think it turned out really great!
I know, I'm a huge dork. :)

Comments

  1. How cute! I love it!!! I'm the same with about to own Hobby Lobby and every other craft store in KC! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE it Mal! I have it hanging right beside my desk. You made my (and my kids') whole week! Thanks again!!! :)
    Love ya,
    Colby

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Mallory! I love that you caught the craft bug--now I get to read all about the awesome things you make! :) AJ's the same way about me and Hobby Lobby. He hates going with me because even if we're on a mission I somehow manage to stumble into the many scrapbooking aisles and waste most of our time there. lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Love to hear 'em.

Popular Posts