Rah Rah Jayhawk, KU!


Well, it's supposed to be Spring. Which means it's supposed to be nice weather, but the forecast as of this morning was looking quite grim.
I can safely say that I am already tired of the gray sky that I am currently sitting under.
We were spoiled with the beautiful weather on Sunday.

Anyway, my flowers looked beautiful before we left for Maryville on Friday night. It was stinking windy before we left, so I pulled them into the garage with the intent of calling Jo & having her bring them out into the sun on Saturday afternoon.
Needless to say, that didn't happen..
Whoops.

So, they were looking kind of pathetic when we got back on Sunday afternoon. They have yet to get the amount of sun I think they deserve, but with time..

This weekend we don't have a lot planned. Friday night will probably be the typical Speakeasy adventures, Saturday I plan on going over to Doug & Jo's to help Jo start packing, and Sunday I am singing at the Easter services with choir.

I think I'm going to let my legs rest a bit & not do much running for a while. I have step class tonight and I'm SUPER excited to show the gals my marathon shirt & tell them all about it. Other than that, I'll most likely just stick to the elliptical to be safe. My legs were pretty much worthless to me up until this morning. I could finally walk like a human when I stepped out of bed at 7:20 am. Hallelujah.

Today, while at Ambucs, I signed up to be a Big Sister. The director of the "Big Brother, Big Sister" organization here in town came to do a presentation for our club. I've always wanted to do something like that because I love kids, and I figure - what better time than now? Matt & I don't have kids, and yeah, I have a lot going on, but I feel like it would be a great use of my time. What better than helping mentor a child? So you might call me crazy taking on one more commitment, but to me it's worth it. But more on that later. I'm just in the beginning stages right now.

Not much more to report on. It's been a pretty quiet week; I've mainly been trying to recover from the race & haven't had much motivation to get things done around the house.

I hope you all have a wonderful rest of your Thursday, and here's to Friday being here in less than 12 hours!

Rock Chalk,
-Mal

p.s. - For those of you who aren't fans and don't care enough to look it up, I thought I would leave you with the story behind the "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" chant, courtesy of KU.edu.

"KU's world famous Rock Chalk Chant evolved from a cheer that a chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, created for the KU science club in 1886.
Bailey's version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. The rahs were later replaced by "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.
The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. Legend has it that troops used the chant when fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and in World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty."

Comments

Popular Posts