Rock Chalk Heartbreak


I probably shouldn't post on this with the wound still fresh and the picture of Markieff crying on the bench still pounding in my mind, however; I feel I have no choice.

There's really no other explanation for our loss other than we played poorly. If we could have made half the shots we missed [or even a third], we could've pulled through. And if they would have missed a handful of three-pointers, we probably could have won.

I woke up this morning with a bad feeling in my bones - a feeling that scared me. And obviously, that ghostly feeling was correct. I knew something was going to go awry today.

I didn't cry. I didn't pout. I just...sat. And stared. With my hands over my mouth. In shock.

Every year this happens. Every year I think to myself "This is our year." And in '08, I seemed to be correct. And I really thought this would be our year again.

I guess I was wrong.

The anger I have is ridiculous; especially considering the amount of bad going on in this world. [war in Libia? Cancer? Unemployment?] Some may say it's even silly. I wish I could just get over it, and really; I should. But I can't. To me, the Jayhawks are my family. They always have been. And I yell and scream at the TV every season like they can hear me. I look forward to next year's Basketball season from the minute we drop out of the NCAA tournament. I fight with people I don't know [mainly K-state fans] about our abilities. And I wear my Crimson and Blue proudly regardless of how we do that year. Because deep down, I love my Jayhawks. I love our history; our Rock Chalk Chant, our Fieldhouse, and our true, to-the-core basketball roots [James Naismith, anyone?].

Basketball was invented at our school. It was the grounds for which the NCAA tournament started; and it was where basketball greatness began.

We will always be the best.
Regardless of how many games we have won, what great basketball recruits come to play on our team, or what opponent beats us at home.

They broke my heart, but I will always love them.

Because We Are Kansas.

ROCK. CHALK. JAYHAWK.

Comments

Popular Posts